Inspection Services & Asbestos Testing Ottawa
For homes built before 1986
Asbestos was used in many construction products until late 1985. Asbestos fibers may become a risk during any type of home renovation or construction activity. The Ontario Ministry of Labour, Ontario Regulation 278-05 governs the asbestos abatement conditions that regulate asbestos testing, removal, and management.
Asbestos-containing materials may be found in:
- Stipple ceilings
- Plaster or mud joint compound
- Cementitious parging – cement or plaster of Paris
- Stucco, caulking, pebble-textured exterior finish
- Pipe wrap, insulation, thermal paper
- Roof bitumen and fire proofing
- Adhesives, glues, mastics
- Floor and ceiling tiles
- Old boilers, water tanks, and radiators
The homeowner or building manager is responsible to determine what designated substances are in their home prior to construction or renovation for risks of exposure to workers and family.
Commercial buildings, rentals, and retail businesses must have testing and an asbestos management plan to comply with the government’s asbestos regulations.
Three common older home designated substances:
- Lead paint and solder, piping, and switches
- Asbestos in construction materials
- Silica in plaster, wall board, cement, parging, and grout
Before you renovate, demolish, sell, our purchase a house, call IAQ Ottawa for an asbestos inspection!